History of Hailun
The story of the Hailun Piano Company is that of love, a lot of work, and a little bit of luck. Mr. and Mrs. Hailun Chen met while attending the Piano Technology School in Beijing. They fell in love with each other, as well as for the nit-grit of the piano world. The Hailun Piano Company was soon after co-founded with the Chinese government, and started producing piano parts to piano manufacturing companies across China. They quickly created a name for themselves, representing accuracy and the most sought out high-quality semi-assembled pianos. When Chen bought the remaining portion of the company in 1986, the owner-run factory began producing very impressive fully assembled pianos that defied the trend of cheap Chinese manufacturing. In 2000, Hailun stopped selling piano parts to other manufacturers, and instead, Mr. Chen focused on assembling a team of world-renowned technicians, engineers, and manufacturing experts from all over the globe to create the best pianos in the world (ie. Peter Veletzky, a prominent Viennese craftsman from a prodigal family with a century’s piano making expertise, George F. Emerson, the well-known American piano designer, Zlatkovic Sibin, a Viennese piano tuning and voicing specialist, and Ema Shigeru, a brilliant Japanese production specialist). The result, of course, has been nothing short of lustrous, with numerous different exquisite pianos, complete with impeccable sound and feel.
Learn more about Hailun’s history from Hailun USA’s CEO, Basilios Strmec, in the short video below.
What’s more is that parts that should be given a great deal of attention — such as the soundboard which acts as the “soul of the piano” — are! Hailun really gets it right when it comes to providing first-class materials, and hand-crafted quality.
- German Röslau Strings
- Real Ebony Wood for the Black Keys
- Wet Sand-Cast Full-Perimeter Plates
- Quarter-Sawn Spruce Ribs
- 17-layer Maple Pinblock
- Mountain Spruce Soundboard (w/ 15° Meniscus for Durability and Flexibility)
- Adjustable Bench with Storage Space
PianoPricePoint has a fantastic blog post about their visit to Hailun’s factory in China we invite you to read!
International Recognition & Awards
- 2006: Hailun’s grand piano showcases in the Golden Concert Hall in Vienna for the European Chinese Association Peace Celebration. This was the first time a Chinese made piano had been featured in the Viennese Golden Concert Hall.
- 2006: Hailun Piano receives the prestigious “China’s Top Brand Name” award. This is an immense acknowledgement to commemorate Hailun’s achievements.
- 2006: The Denmark Royal Family selects a Hailun piano to use in Royal Palace in 2006. Hailun Piano was chosen again and won fame for their pianos. Delighted with this achievement, Hailun Company continues to make great efforts in innovations and advancement.
- 2007: The Hailun 277 Professional Concert Grand Piano chosen by both, world renowned pianist, Lang Lang, and one of the greatest pianists from Sweden, Robert Wales, for the Beijing Olympic celebration party.
- 2008: Hailun Piano chosen for 2008 Olympic performance and awarded the International Six Golden Star Medal by the European authority music magazine DIAPASON. It was the first time that a Chinese piano was awarded such a high honor in the world-leveled European authority piano contest.
- 2009: Hailun Piano Company is authorized as a national leveled industrial culture demonstrative site, and a national culture export keystone company.
- 2011: Hailun Piano is awarded as Upper level in Consumer-Grade Pianos by the Piano Buyer Magazine.
- 2012: Hailun Piano is awarded as Upper level in Consumer-Grade Pianos by the Piano Buyer Magazine for the second time.
- 2012: Hailun wins the Musical Merchandise Review (MMR) “Acoustic Piano Line of the Year” for their HU5P at the 20th Annual Dealer’s Choice Awards.
- 2013: Hailun Piano is awarded as Upper level in Consumer-Grade Pianos by the Piano Buyer Magazine for the third time.
- 2013: Hailun wins MMR’s “Acoustic Piano Line of the year” for the Hailun Grand HG178.
- 2014: Hailun wins MMR’s “Acoustic Piano Line of the Year” for the Hailun Grand HG178.
- 2015: Hailun is given MMR’s “Legacy Award”, and the Hailun HG178 Concert Grand Piano is recognized in the Hall of Fame, becoming the first acoustic grand piano to be in MMR’s Hall of Fame.
- 2016: Hailun Chen and his wife win the Austrian Schumpeter Prize for their innovative spirit. The Schumpeter Prize is awarded in recognition of contributions in the field of economics and politics.
- 2017: Hailun wins “Acoustic Piano Line of the year” for the entire Hailun Piano Line.
- 2018: Hailun wins Music Inc.’s Editors Choice Award during the 2018 NAMM (National Association of Musical Merchandise) show.
- 2019: The Guiness World Record for Largest Number of People Playing Pianos is won in Xiamen, China, using 777 Hailun pianos.